Monday 21 July 2014

My Skin: Toners and Treatments

Toners and Treatments. Toners are a lotion or wash designed to cleanse the skin and lessen the appearance of pores, also toners help to bring the skin's pH back to normal (pH 5.5) as many cleansers can alter it making the skin slightly more alkaline. #science!


There are three types of toners:
Skin braces or fresheners, which are the mildest types that contain water, a humectant (which is a substance used to keep things moist) and little if any alcohol (0-10%). Skin fresheners are the gentlest to the skin and are most suitable for dry, dehydrated, sensitive or normal skins. A popular example is rose water. 

Skin tonics are slightly stronger and can contain up to 20% alcohol, water and a humectant. Orange flower water is a good example of a skin tonic. Skin tonics are suitable for use on normal, combination or oily skins.
The strongest type of toner is an astringents, they contain the highest amount of alcohol (20-60%), they contain antiseptic ingredients, water and a humectant substance. Due to high levels of alcohol they are very drying and only recommended for oil skin types.

Also I would like to say to be very careful when using astringent toners, I used to use an astringent toner a couple of year ago when I had very bad acne and was trying to clear. Due to the antiseptic ingredients and the high level of alcohol, the toner stung like a b**** and would make my skin very red and raw. I am still very wary of toners and have yet to find one that helps oily skin and isn't an astringent, which is the reason why I don't have a toner for you, so if anyone has any suggestions please leave a comment below.

Now on to treatments, a skin treatment can come in a variety of forms, a serum, a gel or even pads (not those kind of pads). A treatment is a product that targets specific skin problems, whether it be acne, pigmentation, or wrinkles (which I don't think is a "problem" but whatever). 

The skin treatment I use is the Origins Super Spot Remover, it has salicyclic acid in it which is in most spot fighting skin care products, it also has skin calming caffeine and red algae, which relieves redness. So, does it work? Yes it does, I've been using this product for a year now (still using the first bottle, it lasts ages considering its size!) although it did work better when I first used it, it still works just a bit slower than it used to. The packaging says to apply a thin layer, three times a day to the spot, I don't apply it three times a day because most of the time I'm at school with makeup on.



That's all for toners and treatments, I hope you found this post information (as there was A LOT of information haha). As always if anyone has any suggestions for posts or anything please leave a comment below or you can contact me through any social media in the side bar. Have a nice day and I'll talk to you next time.

Livvy xx

P.S I am not an expert in skin care, all the information in this post was found on Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment